Saturday 20 June 2015

Professional Connection Map [Activity 5]

This Professional Connection Map shows my learning network. It is comprised of connections to support my teaching and learning as well as those which support my learners and the parent community. I have noted in each little bubble, the connection I have which each aspect. The green boxes are a representation of where I feel I have strong connections and the yellow boxes are areas that can be potentially be strengthened. The benefits I find are that I can bounce ideas of more than one person or collective group and gain different perspectives as well as stronger evidence in some cases.

 However, the challenges are maintaining these connections and a balanced work-home life. I find that meetings need to happen before or after school and I already have 2x staff meetings each week as well as planning (planning is slightly more intense for me this year as I am still getting my head around maintaining a high level of work in a digital classroom). After squeezing in meetings with external agencies I end up going home to continue working. I have also found another challenge is when one area breaks down. For example, all agencies could be lined up and ready to work with a family (maintaining that rich connection with the communities), but the family declines. This sets back all parties involved.

Throughout this process I have realised that there are many more connections to be strengthened.  For example, I have just realised that I have not noted 'local churches' on my connections list.  I have minimal contact with one of our local churches, but I can see positive impacts coming from connecting with other churches and further reinforcing community relationships.

This reflective post also calls to mind the Registered Teachers Criteria 1: "Establish and maintain effective professional relationships focused on the learning and well-being of ākonga".  It is my job to establish and maintain these professional connections.


References
Registered Teacher Criteria. (n.d.). Retrieved June 14, 2015, from https://www.teacherscouncil.govt.nz/rtc

No comments:

Post a Comment